Water is a natural resource available on earth. It is a renewable source of energy and can be used for generating electricity. There are multiple uses of water and without it, life would come to an end. Therefore, it is always advised to save water and use it carefully. There are situated industries which are helpful in services related to water. The water industry services are responsible for reusing dirty water. If these industries did not exist then the daily need for purified and clear water might not get fulfilled.
What is the water industry?
The water industry is defined as an industry which provides drinking water and wastewater services to various residents as well as commercial and industrial sectors for economy purpose. These are mainly operated by public utilities. The water industry is not inclusive of manufactures and suppliers of water packed in bottles. The components of water industry services include- water engineering, operations on it, water plant construction, equipment supply, and water itself. There are several benefits of the services provided by water industries.
- Provides clean and reusable water
- Protects the environment by cleaning wastewater
- Keeps water-borne diseases away
- Strengthens economy
- Produces energy
Challenges faced by the water industry:
It is proved that the water industries are really necessary and without them, we cannot get clear and clean water to drink. But there are some challenges which are faced by all water industries in day to day life.
These challenges are listed below:
- Aging infrastructure and asset maintenance: as the technology is evolving there is also a need for up-gradation in aging equipment and software systems.
- Managing costs amid increasing electricity prices: due to increase prices in electricity water industries are also getting affected.
- Population growth in urban and rural areas: increasing population requires the establishment of more water plants
- Environment and sustainability: because of flood and other climate change there are greater risks of impurity in water bodies.
- Skill storage and an aging workforce: the new technicians are required to handle modern technology.
These challenges need to be monitored from day to day life for better services.
Last but not the least, water industry services paly a major role in the water supply to all the places. These services are appreciated as without these there will be a lot of problems faced in day to day life. Apart from these, they are also helpful in the re-utilization of wastewater. Industries like these remain under the charge of public sectors. The companies providing facilities can be private and sometimes under government. They also play an important role in increasing the economy as every investment done in water and sanitation provides an economic return of $4 from lower health costs and fewer premature deaths.