Claiming insurance policies, a very big nuisance if you do not know the methodology. Public adjusters help policyholders settle their insurance claims. They act on behalf of the policyholder. They are independent professionals that help insurance policy claims. They do not have any connection or contact with the insurance company and can charge a settlement fee of almost 15% of the claim. However, you must remember that you are only entitled to a claim amount equal to your policy and not more. If you are thinking of hiring a public adjuster, they are all the factors that you have to consider:
Factors to consider:
- Background check: Before you decide to spend all your money on an adjuster, make sure that you check his track record for the number of successful claim settlements. You can always ask your family or friends for recommendations. This is simply because they are bound to have had an experience in the field of claim settlements. The adjuster must have a license that is accredited to your state or the bureau. To check his record, you can also contact your state insurance record.
- Avoidance: If you feel that a particular adjuster is pressurizing you to sign up for his services, make sure you avoid the same. Before you sign the contract, go through all the clauses and make sure you understand them in the meaning they are intended for.
- Factual knowledge: Be thorough about the facts of your case. This includes nuances like time, place, or even the bystanders involved. This will provide a strong backing for your claim.
- Obeying the law: Some states have laws that state that homeowners who have suffered a personal loss cannot be contacted until 48 hours after the incident. Similarly, the country or state that you live in can have their own rules and regulations about the claims of insurance settlement. However, if you feel that you are in the requirement of immediate assistance, then you can contact adjusters. This is permissible in cases where time is of the essence.
- Promises: Do not accept any promises made by the adjuster before he peruses through the merits of your claims. They must have a good idea about your income, expenditures, etc. before determining the credibility of your claim.
- Abuse of settlement: There have been instances where contacts of firms ask you to sign your settlement in their names under the pretext of filing the claim. However, this has led to disastrous consequences of these agents pocketing most of the claim or creating unnecessary expenditure. The company also can hold your documents on lien until you pay them the requisite fees within the requisite period. While this seems to be simple, it will put you in a risky position.
Now that you have read this, you would have an idea of how you must handle your insurance claims. In case you wish to ask for help regarding the filing of the claim, you can always appoint a public adjuster Miami.